Sunday, July 17, 2011

living outside

Since Moscow Idaho is farm locked in all directions there really isn't much to do. But Moscow has an amazing paved bike/walking trail that we've taken advantage of. We decided as a family to become more active and really wanted to instill this type of lifestyle to our kids. Brad and I have been running during the week at least 3 miles at a time while pushing the kids in the the stroller. They will get out and run about a half mile with us. Ethan is quite the speed demon and has really good running form. Gavin is a tank and will run until he just stops and says, "I'm done" and climbs into the stroller. They both like to yell at Brad and tell him to run faster. I have a slower and steady pace, Brad is still faster while pushing the kids than me. It has been pretty amazing to see that our first run together we couldn't even run a mile straight. Now 3 weeks later Brad and I can run at least 3 miles without stopping. We recently finished a 7 mile run with a few breaks during the jog. I would have never thought I could do this. Amazing how pushing yourself a little more each day you can accomplish so much. Brad will even run with the kids when I am working.

The all time favorite summer activity? BIKE RIDING. Gavin lives and breathes bike riding. We use going on a bike ride as incentive to get the kid to do anything...eat his veggies, take a nap, pick up his toys. I've even found him on his bike at 4am in the garage! He said to me today when I woke up, "you awake Mama? I go on a bike ride?" He spends hours on his bike and just loves to ride around the neighborhood and throws a fit every time we have to go inside. Ethan is pretty much happy being outside and loves to ride as well. I have some tan boys!

Now that we moved, we have a backyard that the kids love to play in and I love that I can see them while still in the house. Also, the afternoon it's shaded but we can still feel the warmth of the day. So nice to be able to relax in a yard without yelling at the kids to get out of the street or the way of cars!!! The kids are out there everyday. Love it!!

2 comments:

amanda said...

that is great that you are running with the kids. I made Emma run with me to get ready for soccer. She told me she didn't know running was this hard. good for you guys. miss ya.

Melody said...

I am missing Idaho so much! I miss my friends and I miss the cool nights and the beautiful country feel! It sounds like you guys are doing great! Miss you! Love love love!