Sunday, July 03, 2011

potty training take 2



My advise the first time around was DON'T DO IT. I still agree. The end.

Well, it came time again to round that corner with my second child. I actually refused to potty train him (ask my mother in law who would lecture us on the phone and tell me to stop being selfish, he is ready). Not so proud mothering moment would be telling my 2 year old that we pee in the diaper not the potty. So I wasn't ready, who really is? Well, Gavin was and is, ALWAYS ready for an adventure when I am not. He picked the worst possible time to start potty training. HE chose to start peeing in the potty during finals week for Brad, I worked all week, and we had vacation the next week. I decided to go with it since he was actually doing all the work. When I told Brad Gavin was potty training he said NO WAY during finals week (and also made a deal that he would potty train him when finals were over, he met NO resistance from me). Gavin is such a choice child. He pees when he wants too, he poops when he wants too and he will pee and poop wherever he wants too.

There has been absolutely NO TRAINING on this child. Since he pee's outside more than inside, I'm not sure if he learned anything I tried to teach him except that we don't pee the pants. In Gavin's world that must mean don't pee the pants but pee on the plants, and the tub and the toilet seat and bowl and floor and entire roll of toilet paper and on the rocks and behind the house and out the door and sometimes the pants and undies when we feel like it, just because we feel like it.

He insists on standing up to pee. We taught Ethan to sit down. He insists on lifting the seat, even in public places. He flushes before he pulls up his pants, usually runs around stark naked all day long.

He unrolls the toilet paper all the way to the floor yet doesn't use but 1 piece to wipe his butt. Yes he insists on wiping his own bootay, which has been pretty much unsuccessful and much to be desired... ew and shudder belong in this paragraph.

We taught Gavin to tell us when he needs to go potty so we can help him. He now informs us EVERY TIME he needs to go, as if asking permission. EVEN at 5am, JUST GO POTTY GAVIN, don't ask, just go!!! "I go pee-pee?" is not very cute at 4am.

He is 2 and wears 4T undies, he has a major bubble butt going on.

I never ever thought I would need to clean the floor behind the toilet, but as luck has it my children manage to not only pee on the floor behind the toilet but under the foot of the toilet and in every crack!

Potty training ensures that there will be undies in every single room of the house, including the kitchen. I've never washed so many undies in my life: batman, cars, wallE, thomas, buzz, woody... sometimes I just throw them away, skid marks belong in the garbage (remember the comment about Gav wiping his own bootay?)

Gavin insists on going potty everywhere we go, seriously?!!! Most annoying time yet was at the pool, Gavin starts screaming he needs to go when I know every single other kid in that pool that's potty trained is peeing in it, yet my child wants to use the restroom like it's an amusement park or something. Blast those automatic dryers!

And my favorite, since we taught him what it was like to go potty he must inspect the thing that does the peeing and even test what the thing that does the peeing can do, shrink, pinch, pull, squeeze and much more. Sometimes he'll look down his pants to make sure it's there...open the pants and undies, the thing that does the peeing, yup it's still there, but better touch it to make sure, yup still there, okay back to playing trains...

I witnessed Gavin pee and stick his hand in the stream. He wiped his hand on his shirt, that's what happened.

Oh the joys of potty training...

P.S. who designed the undies with the cool picture on the BACK? Definitely not thinking about the customer on that one...a 2 year old is never going to be okay with wearing the cool picture on his butt where he can't see it, so my child pretty much walks around with a perma wedgie backward undies all day long. Seriously!

7 comments:

Melonius said...

hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! i know, easy for me to say...

Juliana said...

Can I send you Barec when he is ready to be trained because I don't want to do it!

Julie said...

ha ha!! This made me laugh so much!!!

Melody said...

Oh, Gavin. That is sooo funny and I am soooo sorry! :) I am resigned to Jana just being in diapers until she starts school.

amanda said...

oh the joys of potty training. the sad thing is all of my kids have done if differently, i hate it. I can't say this worked from Emma so it will work for Lily, NOPE. good luck. and amen to the undies issue.

Amber said...

So, so sorry Monica. I think I'll let Brooklyn teach herself.

And Logan stands up to pee and I'm constantly cleaning pee off all over the toilet and floor. That's probably because I've caught him not even aiming the thing before, he just sprays wherever. (Insert Crazy Eye and insane squeal here). I hate it!

Beth Willmore said...

Monica I don't know if you remember me, but I found your blog through Amber's blog. I used to live next door to you at Nauvoo house. I hope you don't mind that I perused your blog. I seriously laughed to tears about 6 different times as I read back through your blog. You're so honest and hilarious and as a mom of 3 kids I totally understand where you're coming from! Feel free to e-mail me at willmoreb@ida.net to get an invite to our blog if you'd like!