Tuesday, November 04, 2014

SAHM

So many times I have opened my blog to write something, but I just stare at the page, then close the lap top and leave.  I used to be so many things, love so many things, do so many things. But then I stopped. You know the saying you have to lose yourself to find yourself.  I would say that over these past 5 years, I lost myself.  If I were to look at my blogging, it stopped after we went to law school.  Something that I had a choice to do, but didn't *really* have a choice to do.  Brad wanted to go to law school, and in order to do so, I needed to work.  I didn't want to work, but I needed to.  How is that a choice?  So I gave of myself and said I would work so he could go.  So he could create a better life for us and for him.  I wanted him to do something that he would be happy doing, so I went back to work for him.  I hated it.  Hate would be saying it nicely.  I had 2 boys that I would munch on during the week and when my number was called I would work 5, 12 hour NIGHT shifts, in a row.  Sleep 5 hrs in the morning while they were at a sitter, pick them up, feed them, attempt housework, and go back to work as Brad walked back in the door from school.  I was tired, I was half a mom, I was half a nurse.  I stopped reading for pleasure, I stopped blogging as a passion, I stopped photography, everything stopped as I struggled for air.  My boys were my lifeline. Only them mattered, I would spend my time for them.  I have sharp memories of waking up, feeling stale and taking my boys to the mainstreet fountain, something they loved, so I would feel like a good mom.  My eyes burned, my face felt stiff as I smiled to show them I loved them.  Because I did. I felt like this but I never told anyone.  I wanted to look as if I was happy.  Why I cared what others thought is beyond me, but then again, I lost who I was-- I was who I thought people wanted me to be.  I wanted to appear as this amazing hard working wife, who could handle everything. Joke's on me.

I get so mad at myself for not fighting harder for me. Here I am, finally a SAHM. and a terrible one.  I worked 8 years as a night shift nurse, so the house always came last, we ate out more than I like to admit, I never did laundry consistently, ever. Then boom, I finally got what I wanted, and  suck at it! I finally have a house to call my own and I have no idea how to keep it.  I would say I love organization, but my house is disorganized, I finally do laundry every Tuesday, meal plans are a joke.  WHAT is going on!? I am fighting to get myself back, I'm so close. I am happier. So much happier without worrying about working. Now I can focus on me, my family and my home. Finally.

4 comments:

Ben & Carli said...

I totally understand!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that you are probably doing an awesome job, but I have struggled with/still struggling with the same issue. It gets better sort of. I think part of it is that there is no hard line to measure success with. I have a hard time feeling competent at what I am doing with my life. Good luck, keep going, you got this. PS Tuesday laundry days are the best!

Shelley said...

I totally get it. I work full time and have these 4 kids to take care of and I constantly feel like I am coming up short. Like I don't have enough of myself to give to be a good teacher, a good mom, a good wife, a good housekeeper, a good cook, a good member of the church doing my calling, etc. I go to bed exhausted and crying more times than I want to admit. But I know in my heart that this is what I am supposed to be doing and that somehow the Lord will make up the difference. I'm glad you get to stay home now, you'll find your new rhythm soon!

Raising Helm said...

Wow! I seriously love how real you are even though you might not be in love w it. As a SAHM:) I have had many of those feelings, which is refreshing. I esp. Loved when you said, I love organization but feel unorganized. Haha so me. So good to hear from you:)

Melody said...

Yes yes and yes. Oh my goodness yes. I haven't worked for 3 years and I am just *barely* finding my way into being an actual mom and wife. It's a lot of work too. Way more rewarding though, IMO. :)