It was nice to be able to come home from night shift and sleep in until my heart desires with no interruptions. I was also able to take candlelit bubble baths without boys hoping in or blowing out my candles or husbands coming in to talk about the weather. I stayed up devilishly late, with my nose in a book and (gasp) ate junk food in my bed until I saw it getting light outside. I watched what I wanted, when I wanted. I stayed in my pajamas all day. I took strolls down to the quaint main street, grabbed a bagel from the local store and sat in a cute coffee shop reading from my kindle. I wore my glasses the entire time Brad and the boys were gone. I chit chatted on the phone strewn across my bed like a high schooler talking to her only true love, my husband on the phone. I lived in my bed, my house stayed clean. I jogged around the neighborhood a few times. Ate cereal and fishy crackers (and maybe a few oreos) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I did manage a lunch date with the best girls in town, and ate leftovers for dinner. Did some cruising around the mall. Gave myself a mini makeover and pedicure. Went out and bought myself some brand new white sheets, which I lived in until the morning Brad came home. My house was quiet, and still.
WHAT A LIFE, RIGHT?
Now, 2-3 days without my family would have been just fine. By the end of the week, I was struggling. I missed the little rascals jumping on me in the morning to wake me up. I was lonely eating dinner after making way too much dinner for one. I didn't have anyone to say, "don't play with your food" or anyone to tell "that the green stuff will give you energy to wrestle dad". I didn't trip over toys or wipe hand prints off the counter. I didn't have a husband smack my bum when I walked by, or to snuggle up too on the couch. I didn't hear any laughter, or fighting or water running the the bathroom to make me jump and to tell my all is well and life is good.
I realized how much my family was a part of me now. How I have grown to depend on them and how I expect that each day will be filled with something from them. How I loved that WHEN I take bubble baths the boys get all excited about the bubbles and the candles. And when I choose a junk food it is usually reared towards what my kids will enjoy or what Brad would like to share with me. And why I enjoy walking main street is because the boys love the fountain, and the cute park area, and that I think it is romantic to walk down holding hands with my hubby. I bought the sheets because I thought Brad would like the white rather than the ruby color that I had previously had on the bed and I could picture us cuddling in the over sized soft sheets. I enjoy reading from my Kindle because it was a special gift from Brad, who always gives the best gifts.
Life is SO MUCH BETTER WHEN YOU SHARE IT WITH PEOPLE YOU LOVE.

I am so glad they are back. Tonight I didn't say much, just lots of hugs and kisses, and listened to my very own life, and I was glad for the noise.
5 comments:
Isn't it funny how not having your family around makes you appreciate them more?
AWW...i love this. So glad you got a break--but I totally agree, even when Matt and I go on dates, I miss my kiddos :) Hope you are having a lovely summer--miss you all!! Can't wait for the fall!
Sounds like it was a nice break, and I totally agree! A couple of days all to myself is all nice, but after that it just gets lonely. I miss you a ton!
glad you were able to have some time. i would miss my kids too.
I love the way you put that all into perspective. It's so true that our life has adjusted to all these changes and you just can't go back to the way things were 'before', and we shouldn't want to! We should all find joy in our lives the way you do!!!
Post a Comment