Though law school is "fun" and stressful, believe it or not there are things I do like about Moscow. I have found that the broken sidewalk up and down the hills in my neighborhood welcome me and my kids during our strolls. I like the cute vintage houses painted unique colors with ivy growing up the sides, and their rusty gate swinging as we pass. I love that there are trees everywhere and we often stop to pick blackberries from overgrown bushes. Gavin loves those berries, so much that their thorns don't bother him as he searches for them.
Mainstreet is a few blocks from my house, they have a playground called "friendship circle" where I sit and watch my kids play. They like to throw pennies in the fountain and dip their feet in the water. Mainstreet has lots of cute shopping stores with signs that say "support local, shop local" that make me want to shop but then I look at the prices... There are usually live bands playing at one of the shops or at least one or two random musicians playing on the street. Ethan and Gavin stopped to watch a guy playing his guitar on the bench by friendship circle, he looked up winked at them and started to play the theme song from curious George. They held hands as they danced to his song. I started to cry, then laughed at how silly I was for refusing to accept Moscow and trying to hold on to my old home. This is going to be us for the next three years.
I have been in a funk the past couple weeks, working like a madwoman, trying to get my house in order and trying to get a routine. I haven't had any time to settle down and figure things out, let alone do my hair. But I haven't felt out of place as I walk around town with my kids and cave woman hair, it's normal and actually the style (haha, no worries, I will continue to do my hair and be overdressed for the next 3 years once I get out of this funk). People are tree loving and peace keeping types, I even walked by a house that had a yellow painted rock with the words "love" written on it. I smiled and pointed the rock out to Ethan as if it was a really cool flower or animal, told him it spelled LOVE and he laughed and said cool.
Yesterday a college student was helping check out and ask if both of my boys were mine. I told her yes, she looked at my ring and asked how long I've been married. I tell her seven years, her eyes about fell out of her head. I am definitely not the "norm" here, married seven years is outrageous. Most people here my age are just starting the "serious relationship stage" I work with one of them who comes to me for advice (seriously...).
I like that I only live 2 blocks away from work, I walk every time. The ladies at work are funny, fun and welcoming. House supervisor is hilarious and willing to teach. My boss is amazing, sweet and supportive. Work is good, other than the fact that it's work :) and its at night.
The kids love their babysitter, I do too. She is GREAT and willing to work with us. Her kids are same ages as mine, but girls...no worries the first day there the older girl pushed the basketball hoop over to find some bugs... Ethan calls her his sister. I also feel special because she is a celebrity in my mind, she's the one who does the Make a Cake series on the www.Makeitandloveit.blogspot.com. I have been reading her posts forever, so she certainly is someone to me, how lucky my kids get to have her as a babysitter... no fair!! :)
I like making dinner and talking to Brad about what he learned at school (even though he thinks I think it is boring) its a relief to see that he enjoys what he is doing and makes all this worth it.
People here are nice and smile often. Must be something in this orange water we drink. I hope that Brad and I can find our routine soon so we can be one of those smiling, rock painting type that just want peace, love and happiness man!
5 comments:
I'm so glad things are going well for you! I'm sure Moscow is a big change but it looks like you are slowly settling in. My brother and his wife are headed up there sometime next year for grad school as well. :)
I think I remember warning you it was hippie up in Moscow. Stay cute though. Thanks for all the chats we've had. The support has really helped.
BRavo my friend! I am glad you are finding your own "roots" up there, though they may be small right now you are looking for the good. Peace love and harmony! ha Enjoy!
i'm glad things are going good for you. its good to make home where ever you are.
Hey so is there only one hospital there? My sister in law just had her baby this week! Tessa Allen!!! Maybe you saw her!!!
Post a Comment