Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dear Grandpa

Please don't die, but if you must you may.You know the saying you don't realize what you have until it is gone? Well, my Grandfather is not gone yet, but pretty close. He is currently living in a hospice for end of life care while my Father and Grandmother wait by his side. When I got the phone call that he was in the hospital I was shocked because your loved ones are supposed to live forever. My Dad finally broke the news today telling me that there is nothing to do except wait for him to pass. I cried. I tried not to let my dad hear me cry. Life is a funny thing, it can be taken from you so fast. So fast that you cannot and do not enjoy all of the moments and opportunities provided to you. I worry that I did not have enough time with my Grandfather and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Although I am comforted knowing that he will be happy in heaven and will progress after this life, I am unsettled and sad. I have never dealt with a death close to me before, maybe that is why it is so raw. I hate seeing my Dad hurt and especially my little Grandmother who's best friend is leaving her. I cannot imagine. My Grandfather told my Dad when he was in and out of consciousness that he is not afraid to die and that it is going to be okay. What do you say except I love you.

Thomas S. Monson
Death is one fact that no one can escape or deny. Because life is fragile and death inevitable, we must make the most of each day.

7 comments:

Randi and Adam said...

Monica, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. It makes me think back to when my grandpa died. He also knew that he was dying which was so hard to watch. All I can say is that it is amazing how much peace they feel, it seems as if they are more ready then we are. I tried to remember that HE was okay with it and that I would be with him again. My prayers are with you and your family!

tiff snedaker said...

That's really hard. I literally sat by my grandma's side last year and watched her die. It was really hard, but peaceful at the same time.
I can't believe I haven't looked at your blog in so long!
Love all of the pictures, and I love Ethan's curly hair. Adorable little boys.

Melody said...

Death is such a dark and abstract thing, and it's SO hard to reason it all out within ourselves while we're stuck with these veil-filled mortal minds. Our thoughts are with you and your family, though, and I know that peace and comfort will come in time. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Unknown said...

It was so sad to hear about that the other night...i can't imagine loosing a grandparent, I hope you, your dad and your family can be comforted!~ Your are strong girl but I know its hard to be strong with this going on...I hope you are doing ok!

Melonius said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Give yourself and your parents hugs from us!

Kendra said...

Monica,
There is not much one can say-except I am so sorry for your loss. Exactly a week ago the same exact thing happened to Dan's grandfather. We know we will see him again-but what about the time between now and then-we will still miss him-as I am sure you will miss your grandfather. Stay close to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ-I am sure he is crying with you in your sorrow-just as he did for Lazarus's sisters as they mourned his death-even knowing he would soon rise him from the dead.
Love Kendra

Melissa Durtschi said...

Monica, My heart goes out to you and your family. The emotional hurt is so hard and I am sorry that you hurt. I'm touched by your post and wish that I could do something to help. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and that I hope your heart is helped by what you know and that your 'work family' care for you! ! !