
You know those circular twisty fluorescent environmental friendly energy saving lights that cost an arm and a leg? They contain mercury. Do you know what you have to do to clean up mercury spills? I will tell you since I had to do it because our house is spotted in these bulbs and we had little boys who like to throw things and knock things over!
- First, leave the area for 15 minutes after opening a window for circulation (remove pets from area as well).
- Use cardboard or some hard surface that you can throw away to scrape up the broken pieces.
- Place the broken pieces in a glass container like a mason jar (environmentally friendly now huh) or something that has a lid or can be zipped.
- Next, go over the area with something sticky, like duct tape, to pick up small loose pieces.
- Find an old rag or wipes, wipe up the area with a damp rag.
- Finally, you may vacuum over the area but need to clean out your filter, throw your bag out in one of those recommended containers, or clean out your dirt trap when you are done.
- Seal off everything used to clean up the mess and place in garbage.
All for one little light bulb. The scary thing is I had no idea they contained mercury until Brad told me because he learned it at work. Crazy huh! We are now replacing those bulbs with silly little white bulbs (to keep my sanity) because I refuse to clean up another one of those. Ethan still doesn't go near the area yelling"there is poison on the ground", he said it to his friend today!
6 comments:
Oh my gosh! What a discovery! We have them at my apt too! I better get rid of them before Jeff runs into one or knocks one over!:)
Holy cow! I seriously had no idea. We have a bunch of those too. With kids that's crazy. That sure isn't on the eco-friendly advertisement!
I HATE those bulbs. And everyone is switching over to them. It's even becoming harder to find the cheapy white ones. My parents have tons of them in their food storage area because some stores in Colorado don't even carry them anymore. Dumb, huh? SO stock up. I refuse to buy those "green" bulbs too. Just dumb. :)
P.S. I hear ya on making a great change for yourself.....it does wonders for a girl's soul. I chopped all my hair off after having Connor and don't think I'll be going back.
I was almost afraid to ask how you learned to clean that up...
Post a Comment