Friday, February 15, 2008

a tid bit about Brazil

So I thought I would post a bit about Brazil. There is so much to say and not enough time. Today I was reminded of a feeling that I felt in Brazil, so it inspired me to share some of my trip!
Suzanne and her mother Billie
Suzanne and I standing next to the boat that says "pretty lady"
A Fisherman village
the rainforest
walking paths Suzanne walked
Iguazzu Falls
Christ the Redeemer way off in the distance
A bunch of school girls who kept telling us that we look like Barbie

Beautiful Brazil

a Beach
Iguazzu Falls
Standing at the falls up close and personal
Our Rainforest Resort at Iguazzu Falls
Suzanne and I at Christ the Redeemer


My trip to Brazil was on October 9th-20th 2007. I went to pick my very best friend up from her mission that she served through our church. I can say that it was quite the experience. Breathtaking, exciting, beautiful, humbling, happy, fun and many other unexplained feelings. It was a relief to see my best friend and know that she didn't get all weird on my while she was gone, she was still bubbly, fun and good old Suzanne (well, a little more spiritual too). When the opportunity came to go travel Brazil with Suzanne, it seemed so obvious that I should go! I have already traveled the world with Suzanne, we've been to Europe, Hawaii, Canada, not to mention a million places in the U.S., so it was an easy choice to go although I knew I would miss my family.

The first 82 hours that we were in Brazil, I think we slept 17hrs total. We kept on saying, we can't sleep, it's Brazil! So we found sleep while traveling on buses and in cars to different destinations, but as of resting our head on a pillow...not a chance.

The first place we visited was Florianopolis. The Hawaii of brazil. All I can say to describe the beaches and the view was, amazing. You know the feeling when you stand facing a vast open space that is so gorgeous all you can so is watch, soak it in and hope that you remember it for the rest of your life. That is how I felt, standing before the shoreline of the beaches of Floripa. I remember saying to Suzanne, how can anyone NOT be happy living here?

Our first day was cloudy, but warm, which made everything look even more like a dream. I kept thinking to myself, I am HERE, I am not just watching this on tv, I am actually the person in the TV! Florianopolis was very quaint, Suzanne took us to a lot of the local beaches and fisherman towns. This is where people lived in one bedroom huts or houses, held together by pure faith. They hung their laundry outside on clothes lines, washed it themselves. The kids ran in the fields flying kites without any shoes or shirts either. I am not kidding. It was a whole other world to me, seemed care free and peaceful. they lived day to day, not worrying about becoming rich or someone in society, but just sustaining their life.

We walked the streets and paths that Suzanne walked on her mission. I met a lot of people who loved Suzanne. They taught me a lot. Even though I couldn't understand what they were saying, I could feel what they wanted me to know. One lady made lunch for us, made us a feast with the little money she had. She walked 1.5 hrs to the grocery store to buy her groceries for the meal. She said it was a blessing to feed the missionaries. I looked around her little house, her kitchen, her table which only had three chairs and 6 of us eating, and to me she had nothing. But to her, she had the world. She felt she was rich. She said she was so grateful to her Heavenly Father for everything she has, she thanks him every day. I can only say I was humbled beyond words.

After leaving Florianopolis, we went to Igauzu. We visited Iguassu Falls, known world wide for the water falls that expand into Argentina and Brazil. We went to Argentina first, then the Brazilian side. Billie, Suzanne’s mother, took us on a boat trip right next to the falls. Literally, they dunked us under the Iguassu falls. So I can say that I swam in the Iguassu river! We hiked through rainforests, saw wildlife, and got rained on. I was terrified of getting yellow fever, I also hate bugs, and this place was full of them! Every night I would have Suzanne check me over for the flies that burry themselves into your skin and lay eggs. Which she had experienced twice over her mission!!!! I was paranoid and proud to admit it. I just couldn't stand the fact that something would lay eggs in me! EWWW!

We were princesses here in Brazil, staying at the most amazing resorts. Unfortunately, the people who cleaned them spent longer in our rooms than we did. Too much to see, no time to just chill in a resort.
Ok so i'm out of time...will post again about Brazil!!

4 comments:

Hewards said...

Dude you freakin went to Brazil thats the coolest thing ever. You always go places take me next time MONI! Hey, our blog address has changed to tyandgheward.blogspot.com

amanda said...

first thing i thought was.. that is so pretty, a lot pretty then i thought brazil would be. that looked like a lot of fun. really tropical, i like tropical.. its my favorite.. i wonder why:)! thanks for sharing those, i really like the pictures. your BBF looks really nice, and looks a lot like her mom.

amanda said...

humm.. a lot pretty?! i mean prettier:) thanks

tiff snedaker said...

Wow, you have some beautiful pictures! I assume while you weren't taking pictures you were reading the twillight series? lol...