
Ethan has been learning about boundaries, limits, walking the line, whatever you may call it lately. Brad and I both find ourselves staring at each other "flabbergasted" after Ethan decides to do one if his "Ethan-isms". Then we both point our fingers and say "he must have got that from you!" So no one takes blame for this witty and humouring kid. I would love to say that all the good things are from me, but a fair share are from Brad too. Ethan is trying to have all the power lately, and I find myself trying to reason with the kid. What? He is 2 yrs old, tell him NO and NO is it! Don't you wish it was that easy? Now, I just use my "excited voice" and tell him to do something, which usually consists of 2 options that I can handle. This approach is much better than, No Ethan, I said NO, what did mommy say? Do you know what NO means?...! I do have to admit with all things considered, Ethan is as much if not more a joy than he is a tyrant. I tell ya when He rains, He pours!Here are a few of his latest antics!
- After getting up at 5AM, feeding him some juice and banana, I tell him that it is still dark outside and so he needs to be sleeping when its dark out. 7 AM rolls around and I hear Ethan yelling from his room, "I'M AWAKE MAMA, THE SUNSHINE IS OUT, I CAN SEE IT, ITS RIGHT HERE, I'M AWAKE". What do you know, there was a crack in his blinds and of course at 7AM the sun is just a shining away in Ethan's room...darn that sunshine!
- When doing his business I'll come in the room to assist and he'll tell me "turn around" while twirling his hands in a circle. Apparently he wants some privacy. He'll also tell me to "shut the door, aaaaaalllll the way".
- Brad and I are both encouraging Ethan to eat his dinner saying things like, "its really good, its yummy, mmmm, try it", and of course Ethan refuses or tells us that it is spicy, or too hot. We will tell him that in fact, there is no way rice can be spicy, and therefore he needs to eat his yummy food. Brad was really pushing the issue that it is good so try it, and Ethan retorts "THEN YOU EAT IT!" Yeah Brad, if it is so good then you eat it!
- When we accidental bump into Ethan or hurt him, we apologize and he'll look at us and say, "oh, its okay". He'll also kiss something and say "all better now'.
- Ethan points at Roxy after telling her to come here, she of course refuses to come to him and he says, "Come here right now, or BIG TROUBLE ROXY"...I wonder where he got that phrase?
- My favorite: Ethan is calling for me while I am trying to put Gavin down so I obviously can't answer him, this is what he sounds like. "Mama?" 1 second wait. "MAAAma?" 2 second wait. "MAAAAMMMAA ?" no wait, "MAMA!!!! WHERE ARE YOU!" Then proceeds to run around the house lecturing me "MAMA I'm talking to you! MAMA WHERE ARE YOU!!" Then, after he wakes Gavin up, he finds me and says, "Mama, I LOST YOU!" I would have been better off just answering the kid since Gavin is wide awake!
5 comments:
hang in there. my brother use to put foil and boxes over the windows so no light would come in. and that helped them with the 5am wake up calls. good luck with that sweet child.
Take comfort in knowing it isn't "Ethan-isms" but "kid-isms." You're not alone. I think all of us with kids around this age deal with every one of those problems. I made some "screens" for my boys' rooms by stapling sun-blocker fabric to 1" pieces of wood that I had screwed together in a frame that fit inside the window. No more waking up early or not going to bed when it is still light out at 9pm. :)
I sooo love what kids have to say!!!
Of course they test their limits? Don't you just love when you tell them no, and then they do it anyways, while they are still looking at you? LOL at the sunshine thing. Sounds like someone needs some blackout curtains! ;)
Wyatt is testing the heck out of his limits lately too. The problem is he knows I think he's so darn cute, so if he sees he's about to get in trouble, he'll flash the biggest cheese grin he can muster and I just end up laughing. Rats, just like his dad.
And that Gavin is SUCH a doll! Jana is too lazy to try to sit up yet, and no teeth either. I seem to make late bloomers. Hmm.
Post a Comment