Sunday, April 26, 2009

To all my labor and delivery nurses


You know you are a labor Nurse when...


  1. You count to ten with your son and say, "great job pushing, wait, I mean, counting"

  2. You hear the blasted monitors in your sleep, beep beep beep beep beep

  3. While at work, you eat your food while holding the wrapper as a guard between your hand and your food.

  4. This phrase makes you cringe... 1/0 , -2, 10cm calls out and wants to push (see ya later).

  5. You walk around wallmart and either a) see at least 5 people you delivered, b) think to yourself, I'll see that prego soon, c) Have people come up and show you their baby that is a year old, such proud parents, expecting you to recognize their baby and the only comment you think of is this obvious statement "wow, babies change a lot in a year"! I think next time I'll stick with, "She is so cute", or "I deliver the cute ones"...seriously what was I thinking "babies change a lot in a year" talk about awkward!

  6. You have all your friends phone numbers programed in your phone, BUT you have all the L&D Doctors numbers memorized...sad, I know.

  7. You are going to be forever in millions of baby photo books bc the parents insisted on taking a picture of you and the baby

  8. You sign your checks or statements with an RN behind it, and don't realize it until the checker makes a comment "what does RN mean?", you being mortified just say, "It means Registered Nurse", they give you a funny look and you have no way to explain yourself without sounding crazy.

  9. You know where your name badge is at all times, but your keys, money, purse, wallet, cell phone can be lost at any given time.

I look forward to hearing your input!

6 comments:

Melissa Durtschi said...

I'm laughing the whole time I'm reading this. I remember the time a dad came up to me to thank me for being such a great nurse to his wife...hahaha.. I just smiled and said something like 'Any time!' It was awkward enough all ready!!!

Tara said...

I'm not even in L&D and I'm laughing my head off! That is so true! HaHaHaHaHa

Steph said...

I can't believe how true that is. I have totally written RN by my name, I always know where my badge is, I have actually seen my picture in someone's scrap book from their delivery, and those monitors will never, I mean never stop beeping. Thanks for making me laugh.

Melody said...

Every single one is a gem of truth! I cracked up at the primip pushing- seriously, I'm to the point (shh, don't tell) where I'll let them labor down for as long as it takes until they get to 0 station- I am SO done with pushing for three hours. And a few months ago I honestly jerked out of a dead sleep and jumped up to go check on my patient because I heard that beeping in my mind. I made it all the way out of the room before I realized I wasn't at work!

Melonius said...

Is that picture real????

amanda said...

my fav is you start talking at 2am and things start coming out all wrong and you say "i'm done talking now"