Monday, November 24, 2008

back at work!


I was really nervous about going back to work this past weekend. I had butterflies in my stomach and felt like a student all over again worrying about going to clinical...I even laid my scrubs out with socks and my shoes that morning! I have no idea what I was worrying about...maybe that I had forgotten what I had been doing for the past 4 years in 4 months? Although I was a bit rusty with some techniques (for you curious nurses, placing an IUPC with Dr. L on the spot, sitting at the monitor drawers contemplating what the freaking thing looked like since I did one in orientation and that is it, having him coach me through it...was it that obvious that I had no idea what i was doing even though I was doing my darnedest to pretend like I did), but survived. I worked with awesome nurses that picked up my slack. Saturday I night felt like I had never left in the fact that getting ready felt routine even down to the slight hope that I might be put on call. Sunday night was a breeze with only 3 pts on the postpartum floor. I'm glad I just completely jumped back into things, it made it a ton easier. I came home and luckily Brad let me sleep all weekend, waking up to Ethan just wanting to be cuddled (heart breaker). He also sat at the door screaming as I was walking to the car "wait for ME, WAIT FOR ME"...yes I was 2 seconds from quiting my job! One thing I do know, is working makes me really appreciate my family when I get home.


Brad did such a good job with the boys, getting up with Gavin, feeding the kids and tending them all day and night for the weekend! He looked so exhausted by Sunday evening I almost felt guilty going to work! My neighbor agreed to watch Ethan in the morning for me, so I could rest. It worked out really great (thanks Cynthia) and I didn't feel like I was running on empty today. Things are good, life is good... lets hope it stays this way!

6 comments:

Juliana said...

You work so hard! Brad truly is a great guy for taking care of the kids...I am glad to see you got back into the swing of things...

Melissa Durtschi said...

Kids are such heartbreakers aren't they. Sometimes tring to explain why you have to work does more injustice than good. It's REALLY GOOD to have you back!!!

Cynthia said...

It was no problem watching Ethan, we had a great time, and my kids love having someone besides me to play with! haha, Glad work went well.

Amber said...

You laid out your scrubs...hahaha!

Even though it's hard to leave your family, we're glad to have you back, Monica!

Ty and Kumari said...

MONICA YOU ARE AMAZING GIRL!! I BET IT WAS HARD HAVING TO GO BACK TO WORK. THAT IS AN EXTREMELY AMAZING PICTURE!!!

Tara said...

I'm glad things went well...Impressive Dr. L. didn't yell at you or call you incompetent or something. J/k!