Tuesday, January 15, 2008

why you don't bring children on date nights!

Brad took me out on a date to the Museum of Idaho Falls, we thought it would be fun to bring Ethan along. It was the Ice Age exhibit. At the museum Ethan was very well behaved, loving all the big animals to see and things he could touch. He kept saying "WOW" and "ROOAAR" and "GRRRR"when he saw animals he thought made those noises...I never knew a mountain goat roared (according to Ethan it did). The only thing he was afraid of were the fake cavemen, he wouldn't go near them, not even to touch when he practically touched everything else!
Here is a medium Mammoth, they actually found bones of mammoths in Idaho...who would have thought. I guess it is cold enough! Ethan's head was the size of it's toenail!

They had a really cool children's Lewis and Clark exhibit that Ethan could walk around and touch everything, dance to drum beats, climb through tunnels made by animals in nature. He loved it. There were mothers there sitting for hours while their children explored everything. I would have never known that was there. It was educational and fun for the older kids, Ethan just liked crawling through the tunnels and banging things together!

He loved riding the horse, hated it when Brad took him off to go play.

Below, Ethan is perched in an Eagles nest.

Mr. Mountain Man Ethan!

THIS IS WHY WE DON'T BRING CHILDREN ON DATE NIGHTS...

Okay, so the museum was a blast. Brad and I learned a lot and enjoyed having Ethan there. When we went to dinner, we had to make it quick because Brad had scouts that night. We decided that we would order and Brad would leave early if needed. Well, as it turned out he had to run before the check and before Ethan was finished. Brad left to scouts and I was packing up our leftovers. The waitresses was nice and brought Ethan an extra plate so he could pick off of our food. While I was putting the food in the leftovers, Ethan decided to pick up his ceramic plate and try to bang it on the table. I tried to reach across and grab it from him, this got him worked up and he thought this was a game, and he held it firm above his head, just out of my reach. Ahhh! The waitress came at this time and smiled apologetically at me, NO she did not help with taking the plate away from the 1 year old, as I was clearly trying to get it from him. Ethan kept saying "no,no, no" like he wanted the plate, and then was frustrated with the battle, he FLUNG IT DOWN TO THE GROUND. It of course, shattered to pieces. Everyone in the restaurant looked at me, Ethan saying "uh-oh" a million times pointing that the pieces all over the floor, the waitress and I looking at each other in shock, again Ethan pointing saying "uh-oh", I trying to reprimand Ethan, Ethan starting to make a bigger scene by getting upset with mother scolding him, I stopped to prevent a total meltdown from my child, everyone still staring to see what was to come of this, of course my face tomato red and wanting to cry, the waitress stomping off as if it was ALL my fault, the guy next to us trying to ease the tension by saying loudly "was that my child or yours, we always have at least something break while we are out", I couldn't look at him I was so embarrassed, Ethan seeing the reaction that he got from throwing the plate on the floor started grabbing for other items to throw, me trying to clear the table of his greedy little hands, trying to pack up to get out of there and finally just standing up leaving everything behind and running with a child saying "no no". WHERE WAS BRAD! OF course, I could only remember the most recent incident that occurred and it gave our so called date a bad ending... so this didn't count. I feel I deserve another without a child throwing breakable items all over the floor!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Funniest story I have ever heard! I am laughing so hard I can't see what I'm typing! I am actually crying. It is so true-never take a kid on a date. It is almost pointless. Poor Ethan-getting embarassed in the restaurant-just kidding. I'll have to take Morgan to the museum. That sounds so cool.

Juliana said...

I think you deserve another date!

amanda said...

You and Ethan really have some good times together. We talked about taking the girls to the museum and they think that would be fun. good luck on another date.